Out of all the artists we looked at, Teun Hocks is my favorite. Not only is he witty and humorous, but he does an excellent job combining oil paintings with photography. I've always been drawn to more simpler works that are interesting and eyecatching. Hocks effectively portrays his idea through minimalistic means, which makes it even easier to enjoy. His overall use of color and props is also very effective, and his ability to seamlessly combine painting with photography is amazing.GREGORY CREWDSON

Gregory Crewdson is another artist to be commended. Though I don't enjoy his work as much as Hocks, he proves he has a tremendous command over his medium by making it impossible to tell where one photo starts and another begins, or how many photos were even used in one piece. What is unique to his work is that he can effectively make a viewer uncomfortable through several means, including subject matter, camera views and angles, and how the subjects are presented.

Gregory Crewdson is another artist to be commended. Though I don't enjoy his work as much as Hocks, he proves he has a tremendous command over his medium by making it impossible to tell where one photo starts and another begins, or how many photos were even used in one piece. What is unique to his work is that he can effectively make a viewer uncomfortable through several means, including subject matter, camera views and angles, and how the subjects are presented.
JEFF WALL
Jeff Wall is another amazingly skilled film still artist. Though I don't believe he has the technical prowess like the two previous artists, he is my second favorite. He makes up for the occasionally flat photos with interesting compositions and subjects. He arranges his stills in a realistic manner, and interesting, and has a very subtle sense of humor that requires quite a bit of looking and thinking to catch.
Jeff Wall is another amazingly skilled film still artist. Though I don't believe he has the technical prowess like the two previous artists, he is my second favorite. He makes up for the occasionally flat photos with interesting compositions and subjects. He arranges his stills in a realistic manner, and interesting, and has a very subtle sense of humor that requires quite a bit of looking and thinking to catch.CINDY SHERMAN
Though Cindy Sherman may be the most technically skilled of the four artists, she is my least favorite. Her photos are all monochrome and I prefer color, but the lack of color is a style choice and an appropriate one. It suits the almost mocking feel of her stills. The biggest thing that deters me from her work is that when I view film stills, I want to see something that isn't possible and surrealistic, which all the artists above at least attempt. I can't even tell that Cindy changed anything in her photography, and it bothers me. I would rather view her as a photographer, or know more about her process to understand her work.
Though Cindy Sherman may be the most technically skilled of the four artists, she is my least favorite. Her photos are all monochrome and I prefer color, but the lack of color is a style choice and an appropriate one. It suits the almost mocking feel of her stills. The biggest thing that deters me from her work is that when I view film stills, I want to see something that isn't possible and surrealistic, which all the artists above at least attempt. I can't even tell that Cindy changed anything in her photography, and it bothers me. I would rather view her as a photographer, or know more about her process to understand her work.
No comments:
Post a Comment